Friday, July 16, 2010

Jamaica Me Crazy









Dave surprised me with with a honeymoon to Jamaica. We flew into Montego Bay and drove for a couple of hours to our resort in Ocho Rios.
This is a Jamaican sunrise.











We kayaked on the White River one afternoon. The river was amazing. Clear, warm water. The best part was the long drive up the Jamaican countryside to get to the river. It was dense jungle and fascinating to see the small roadside fruitstands and tiny houses built into the mountain.

































After kayaking we were wating around and saw some workers taking a break and drinking out of coconuts. When I asked them about it, one of the guys climbed a tree, picked a coconut, sliced it open with a machete, and taught me how to drink out of it.











"Kiss it! Not like that! Kiss it like you kiss your husband!"











Dave ate the "meat" of the coconut when the milk was gone.





















The resort had Hobie Cat Sailboats we could use whenever we wanted. We took them out a lot and I was very impressed with Dave's sailing abilities, even when he crashed into the pier which was far more startling to the topless woman sunbathing in a chair on the pier. And even when we turned too fast, flipped the sailboat, and got dumped into the water. Good thing Michael, the toothless man selling seashells from a surfboard, was there to help us. Dave joked with the guys and told them they gave us a bad boat. They said, "We think the boat had a bad captain."




On the path to a great little restaurant over the water.














The restaurant with a great view of Tower (naked) Island.















Good times in the pool.













While we were very excited for our horseback riding trip, we were very unprepared. I wore a swimsuit cover up dress and Dave was in swim shorts and flip flops. They made us buy the world's dorkiest water socks that, as luck would have it, were the colors of the Jamaican flag. To further humiliate us, we had to wear English riding helmets. This is me on my horse, Christmas.




I heard, but didn't see, Dave ride up behind me on his horse, Storm. He said, "Umm, Rebekah. I think they gave me a mini horse." I about fell out of the saddle laughing when I turned around and saw this.
















Why I got the giant horse and he got the mini, I'm still not sure.














Some Jamaican kindergartners on a field trip.










The kids were fascinated by me. One of them asked me, "How it feels to be so tall?"

























1 comment:

  1. I love how those kids are looking at you like you're the coolest thing they've ever seen. So cute!

    ReplyDelete