Friday, August 13, 2010

The Best Two Days of Your Life

We bought a sailboat a few months ago. The SS Sassy II. We named it after the sailboat Dave and his brother had a long time ago. We have been very excited about having a sailboat. Looking back over the past two months, the Sassy has somewhat of a checkered history.


Take 1.

The first time we took it out, we were with the girls. After almost breaking the mast by driving under an underpass at the Mercer Island launch, we got it in the water. Dave tried and tried to start the motor. It never happened. After a few hours and a few meltdowns, we packed it up and headed home.

Take 2.

The next day Dave and I went back to Mercer Island to try it without the girls. We sailed for awhile, to the middle of the lake, and then the wind died. Since the motor was still broken, we were stuck, or "marooned" since I like to use nautical terms when sailing. Some drunk college kids on a speed boat were nice enough to tow us back to the launch.

Take 3.

Three weeks, a new fuel pump, and some money later, Dave got the motor fixed. We were very excited to be back in the sailing business. We got the girls again and went to a different boat launch. We got the mast set up (one of my least favorite tasks because it involves smashing fingers and lifting heavy things) and the boat in the water. Dave pulled on the newly fixed motor once and the pull cord broke. Tiffany started to cry saying "I knew it! I knew it!" Natalie and I went to buy a new cord. It got dark and cold and was nearly impossible to restring the cord. We aborted our mission and packed up again.

Take 4.

I decided the SS Sassy and I needed a little space and some time apart. Chris Bennett was nice enough to help Dave fix the cord and get the boat in the water in Kirkland. When I was convinced I could safely board with no issues, we loaded the Bennett and Westra kids and motored over to where we are leaving the boat in the water. The kids loved it and the day went without incident. (Except for the part where Dave and Chris had to tie the boat up, fashion an anchor, and wade to shore in chest deep water).

The next day Dave kept saying he was worried about the boat. We drove back to check on it. The anchor worked. Our boat was still there. However, the mast was laying across the bow within inches of an anchored ski boat. Dave and I walked out to the boat, he in his shorts, me in my undies. We discovered that, for various reasons, the mast had fallen and bent the brace on the boat. We (mostly Dave) took it apart, brought it to shore, and spent the next few days figuring out how to fix it.

My dad got to town the next day ready to sail. We told him the bad news and my dad pulled out one of his classic Bruce isms. "You know what the best two days of your life are? The day you buy a boat and the day you sell it."

He was great in trying to help us get it fixed. We ordered a new part (which came the day he left) and took the family out on the boat without a mast. We had a great time seeing all the houses on the waterfront. When Max got over it being "too sceeery and noisy" he started enjoying it too.

Take 5.

With the new part, we headed back to Kirkland to fix the problem. Dave got it all fixed up, we reattached the mast (with no smashed fingers) and I decided to forgive the Sassy. Joy and Jerry joined us and, while there wasn't enough wind to sail, we had a great time on the lake watching the sunset.

When we told Jerry about our troubles with the boat, he said, "You know what the two best days of your life are......"











Joy and Jerry.

















If there is a moment to capture, Jerry is there to capture it.














My favorite captain and boat repairman.

5 comments:

  1. I could not be more thrilled that you are blogging. Completely made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so excited that you have a blog!! I am so happy that i will be able to keep up with you guys!

    We miss you lots! I hope all is well up there. Wish we could have made it up for the open house!

    we have a blog too... barnesfamlv.blogspot.com

    love ya,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bruce-ism about boats that I get is: "You know what B.O.A.T. stands for? Bust Out Another Thousand." Turns out, sorta accurate in your case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Another family blogger! Great job! I will have your link on my page also! Love you guys!

    sarchetfamily.blogspot.com

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebekah....thanks for a great way to keep up with you and your many adventures. Sure miss you! I was a little sad when I looked around today (first day of school meetings). Sue

    ReplyDelete