Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Birthday and a Confession




I used to judge parents who did what I did. I ranted about proper role models, body image, sending the wrong message to young girls. I’d like to take a moment to apologize to my former unmarried, childless, feminist self. I did what I said I’d never do. I bought my daughter a Barbie. The worst kind. Wedding Barbie.


I welcome stories from those of you who had Wedding Barbie as a child and didn’t drop out of school at 17 to marry a guy who drove an RX7.


But look at the joy on her face! And this isn’t the first time I’ve done something as a parent that I said I’d never do.



IMG_4073


Natalie turned six last month. We celebrated at the place of her choice: Red Robin of course.


IMG_4063



Natalie had a big year. She started kindergarten, learned to read entire books, lost a few teeth, and got her first note from a boy who appreciates her neat handwriting and the fact that she’s nice.



IMG_4080



Happy birthday, Nat Nat!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my dear Rebekah-- You make me laugh and I miss you and your funny stories. Hope everything is as awesome as it appears to be.

    ReplyDelete